Sunday, July 09, 2006

HEAVY RAIN - Quantic Dream

This one, is excellent:


Click



(Adapted from Gamespot)
French developer Quantic Dream, that previous did Indigo Prophecy now promotes their new work, Heavy Rain. Using the newest PhysX, this game brings a whole new experience with realistic character detailing and gameplay mechanics.

The beauty of PhysX: (Real time PS3 Demo)

Heavy Rain from Quantic Dreams sets a new standard in interactive cinema. This casting video illustrates what AGEIA PhysX can do to provide ultra realistic details, such as life-like hair, nuances of emotions in the virtual actress in the casting, making the gaming experience more interactive than it will ever be.

More screenshots here: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/heavyrain/screenindex.html

I typed out the transcript of Heavy Rain as well:
(note to self: so copyright for writing out actually goes to me, but the screenplay/video piece is copyrighted Quantic Dream? O_o)

'HEAVY RAIN' by Quantic Dream
PhysX by AGEIA
Transcript by Faeleia
-----------------------------------------------
Director (in this case doubles up as a Casting Director) [CD]: Go ahead, take a seat. Can you give me your name and age, please?

Mary Smith (MS): My name is Mary Smith. I'm twenty four.

CD: Have you ever taken any acting lessons, Mary?

MS: Not really. I couldn't afford it, but I watch a lot of films, and I learn so much by watching them.

CD: Have you shot anything recently?

MS: I've had a few bit parts, little things here and there and nothing very serious for the moment. I'm always too tall, too short, wrong hair. There's always something wrong with me. *laughs*

CD: OK. Have you learnt your lines?

MS: Yes.

CD: Let's get started. Mark it, please.

Clapperboard guy (or 1st Asst Director [1AD]): Casting Mary Smith, Heavy Rain. Take 1.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"The first time I saw you I knew you were the one. I thought these things only happen in the movies, you know, pounding heart, the sweaty hands and the shaky legs. *laughs*

"I was coming out of the theatre, and it started pouring heavy rain, so there I was, soaking wet, teeth chattering, freezing cold, and then you came up to me. You looked at me straight in the eyes, and said, "Need an umbrella, Miss?" You sent me flowers for weeks and said you'd love me forever. You even said we were getting married. God, it sounds so stupid. It's such a corny moment.

"But real life, never ends with being what you think it's gonna be. You think it's gonna be one big happy fairytale. And then one day you wake up in an average little house, living an average little life, and your real dreams are about paying the bills and maybe someday getting a bigger TV? You realise that, maybe that wasn't the life you really know. You realise maybe things could have been different. And maybe, actually I could lived with all that, but then one day, it all just stops.

"Starts with something small, and then it ..................(undistinguishable). Or two nights when you come home a bit late. At first I tell myself that Hazy/Daisy/(?), you would never do such a thing. But just to ease my mind, one night I followed you, as you leave the office. I follow you to the seedy hotel, where you meet the girl?

"And then my whole world falls apart.

"I come home, and I cry for hours, and I reach --
"I get the gun from the drawer in the bedroom, and I tell myself, that if this is all that life has to offer me, then I can do without.


"But then I changed my mind. Afterall, I'm not the one who's cheating. So. Quietly, I wait for you to come home, sitting in my average little kitchen. [i]Obviously[/i] when you get home, you don't suspect a thing, so I press the fucking gun against your forehead, and I take a few seconds to watch the fear grow in your eyes. You tell yourself, "She won't do it, she doesn't have the guts. She's just trying to teach me a lesson." But you assumed wrong, honey. I sentence you to death for turning my life into a soap opera cliche. For stepping on my dreams, for not giving a shit about me all those years, and for lying to me and betraying me, and humiliating me.

"I'm making an example of you, for all the assholes out there, who think they can keep on fucking us over, and over.

"Goodbye, my love."

//Bang!//
-----------------------------------------------------------------
MS: So, how I sit?

CD: Very nice, very nice.

MS: So you think I might stand a chance?

CD: Someone will get in touch with you and let you know.

1AD: She wasn't not too bad huh?

CD: Doesn't matter. She's too tall for the part.

CD: NEXT!



Just some indepth info about what Physics is in gaming and what it can do for your gaming experience:

What is Physics?
Physics is all about how objects in your game move and react. It's not just how things look, but how they behave. In many of today's games, objects just don't seem to act the way you'd want or expect. Most of the action is limited to pre-scripted or canned animations.

Even the most powerful weapons leave little more than a charred smudge on the thinnest of walls; and every opponent you take out falls in a strangely familiar way. Serious gamers are left with a fine game, but one with a missing sense of realism to make the experience truly immersive. Until now, only limited software physics has been integrated in games. That means physics computation has been handled by the general purpose CPU which is already burdened with the ever increasing demands of today's advanced games including game logic and AI.

Meanwhile, the highly specialized graphics processor is fully engaged with handling the rendering requirements of cinematic visuals at interactive framerates. As a result, physics in games has been limited to a few objects in a scene, one-off "effects" or visual trickery that just mimics real physics. Now for the first time, the AGEIA PhysX Processor delivers the computing horsepower necessary to enable true, advanced physics in games.



What is AGEIA PhysX?
Delivering physics in games is no easy task. It's an extremely compute-intensive environment based on a unique set of physics algorithms that require tremendous amounts of mathematical and logical calculations supported by massive memory bandwidth. Simply put, it requires the AGEIA PhysX processor: a specialized accelerator dedicated solely to delivering rich immersive physical gaming environments with features such as:

* Explosions that cause dust and collateral debris
* Characters with complex, jointed geometries for more life-like motion and interaction
* Spectacular new weapons with unpredictable effects
* Cloth that drapes and tears the way you expect it to
* Lush foliage that sways naturally when brushed against
* Dense smoke & fog that billow around objects in motion

The only way to get real physics with the scale, sophistication, fidelity and level of interactivity that dramatically alters your entertainment experience is with the AGEIA PhysX processor, which was developed from day one to accelerate the highly specialized physically based simulations. And the only way for serious gamers to get true mind-blowing physics in gaming is with a PhysX Accelerator add-in card available today from leading game system vendors such as Dell, Alienware, Falcon Northwest and leading PhysX accelerator makers BFG and ASUS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home